Register for Geology of Virginia Summer 2014
Summer 2014 Geology of Virginia Course
July 7-11 and July 21-25, 2014, Harrisonburg
NEW: The Geology Course for summer 2014 is full.
The Blue ridge Earth Science Collaborative will be offering an geology course for high school and middle school teachers from July 7-11 PLUS July 21-25, 2014 at James Madison University in Harrisonburg. Follow this link to register for the course.
- Geology of Virginia is a course for high school and middle school teachers
- You should have completed a course in physical geology or a similar course before taking this course
- The course will run from July 7-11 PLUS July 21-25 at James Madison University in Harrisonburg
- You must attend both weeks
- There will be multiple field trips during the course
- In the course, you will develop new knowledge and skills that will help you more effectively address the Virginia Standards of Learning related to geology and the nature of science
- The course includes
- Inquiry-based classes on geology
- Instruction on innovative methods for teaching geology
- Time for developing your lesson plans
- Hands-on field work
- Eric Pyle, James Madison University
- email: email@example.com
- Phone: (540) 568-7115
- Eric is an associate professor in Geology and Environmental Science at James Madison University where he leads the Earth Science Education effort.
- Lynn Fichter, James Madison University
- email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone: (540) 568-6531
- Lynn is a professor of Geology at James Madison University.
- You will receive 3 graduate credit hours for Geology of Virginia
- You will receive a textbook and other materials for teaching geology
- Multiple field trips for hands-on field work
- Free housing at a local hotel for teachers that cannot commute each day (double occupancy)
- If you prefer a single room, the grant will cover 1/2 of the cost (cost to you is about $45 per night for a single).
- Modest stipend for food
- Attend all daily sessions, including the field trips
- Complete all assignments and activities
- Thanks to funding from an Improving Teacher Quality State Grant, teachers are required to pay a reduced tuition of only $150 for the course. This is approximately 1/5 of the cost of full tuition.
- Please check with your school division on reimbursement policies for professional development courses. Your school division may cover some, or all, of the cost.