Registration for Oceanography Summer 2013 is closed
Summer 2013 Oceanography Course
June 24-July 3, 2013, Charlottesville
The Summer 2013 Oceanography course is full. We have teachers on a waiting list and are not accepting additional applications. Please check the BRESC Home page for additional course offerings in the future.
The Blue ridge Earth Science Collaborative will be offering an Oceanography course for high school and middle school teachers from June 24-July 3, 2013 at the University of Virginia in Charlottesville. Follow this link to register for the course.
- EVSC 5050 is an oceanography course for high school and middle school teachers
- No previous oceanography experience required
- The course will run from June 24-July 3, 2013 at the University of Virginia in Charlottesville
- No class on Sunday, June 30
- There will be a field trip to Northern Virginia on June 28-29
- In the course, you will develop new knowledge and skills that will help you more effectively address the Virginia Standards of Learning related to oceanography and the nature of science
- The course includes
- Inquiry-based classes on oceanography
- Instruction on innovative methods for teaching oceanography
- Time for developing your lesson plans
- Hands-on laboratory work
- Stephen Macko, University of Virginia
- email: email@example.com
- Phone: (434) 924-6849
- Stephen Macko teaches Oceanography at the undergraduate and graduate levels. His research includes marine organic geochemistry applications to evaluate climate change and deep ocean and Arctic communities. He received the All University Teaching Award and was a finalist for the State of Virginia Faculty of the Year award and is the Education Editor for the AGU publication EOS. He has been a scientist or chief scientist on numerous oceanographic expeditions, including 5 legs of the Ocean Drilling Project and dives in the submersible Sea Link. He was a research scientist on the High Arctic Canadian Ice Island during five expeditions.
- Kristen St. John, James Madison University
- email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone: (540) 568-6130
- Kristen St. John teachers Oceanography for pre-service teachers at James Madison University. She received the JMU General Education Distinguished Teacher Award in 2013. She studies marine sediments to better understand oceanographic and climatic changes in Earth's history. She has sailed as a scientist on several Integrated Ocean Drilling Program research and education expeditions.
- You will receive 3 graduate credit hours for EVSC 5050: Advanced Oceanography
- You will receive a textbook and other materials for teaching oceanography
- Field trip to visit ...
- Free housing at a local hotel for teachers that cannot commute each day (double occupancy)
- If you prefer a single room, the grant will cover 1/2 of the cost (cost to you is about $45 per night for a single).
- Modest stipend for food
- Attend all daily sessions, including the field trip
- Complete all assignments and activities
- Thanks to funding from an Improving Teacher Quality State Grant, teachers are required to pay a reduced tuition of only $150 for the course. This is approximately 1/5 of the cost of full tuition.
- Please check with your school division on reimbursement policies for professional development courses. Your school division may cover some, or all, of the cost.