Leander McCormick Observatory - 6-inch Alvan Clark Refractor

The University of Virginia operates a historical brass 6-inch (0.15 meter) 1888 Alvan Clark refractor at Leander McCormick Observatory, mounted on an 1892 George N. Saegmuller mount with a gravity drive, still used today. Click here for more about Saegmuller who worked with his brothers-in-law Camill Fauth and Henry Lockwood at Fauth & Co. on Capitol Hill in Washington D.C. in the late 19th century to produce some of the finest astronomical and survey instruments of the time. The telescope is located in the doghouse and is used for educational purposes in support of both astronomy classes and public outreach activities.

More detailed information about the telescope and available instrumentation can be found by following the links above.