Faint Stars and Bright Lights
Our Stellar Neighborhood
M dwarfs are the dominant stellar population
- ~300 stars within 10 pc (33 ly)
typical very empty space
- potentially the most complete, best studied sample
- 75% of stars in the solar neighborhood
- about half the Galaxy's total stellar mass
- we are just beginning to understand them
- Is the local census complete?
- Where are the brown dwarfs (BDs)?
- What does a BD look like?
- How many planets are there?
- physics of M stars. planets <--- star formation
How we can find new nearby stars, BD's and planets.
What we know now.
What we are doing locally, and how long can we do it?